A source of information to help you keep fit, prevent injuries from happening, and help you with therapies to get you better. Written by Dr. Derek Vinge at Fit Chiropractic in Courtenay, BC. He is a Canadian board certified chiropractor that is a qualified provider of Active Release Technique (A.R.T.) and Graston Instrument Assisted soft-tissue technique.
Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Chia Seeds: Superfood
List of why you should eat chia seeds!
1. Chia is gluten free
2. It is super high in dietary fibre, making it great for digestion and healing digestion issues.
3. It contains 20% Omega 3 ALA, making it a super food for the brain and heart. Chia has eight times more Omega 3 than salmon!
4. It boasts 20% protein
5. The protein is a complete protein with all 8 essential amino acids
6. It is high in antioxidants (It has a four times higher ORAC value than blueberries)
7. Chia contains five times more calcium than milk
8. Chia contains seven times more vitamin C than oranges
9. It contains three times more iron than spinach
10. It contains twice the potassium content of banana
11. It is food for healthy skin, hair and nails
12. It has a positive impact balancing blood glucose levels (making it awesome for diabetics)
13. Chia makes a great egg replacement. Just combine with water to form a gel, and add it to recipes that call for egg.